Alcohol And Antidepressants Two Toxic Products When Taken Together
Do you love your alcohol and never miss the opportunity to indulge in a little tequila, vodka, wine and brandy. The effects that take place are just mind blowing because the ecstasy and excitement is just overwhelming that you tend to ignore the signs and drink while taking antidepressants. Now here lies the truth behind these things and you should take in account the harmful effects that are inevitable if you take antidepressants with alcohol.
What is an antidepressant?
Antidepressants are the drugs used for treating major depressive disorder like anxiety, sleep disorder, depression, OCD, addiction, dysthymia and eating disorder. They were discovered in 1950s and more than 30 variety of antidepressant are currently available in the market. This are-
- SSRIs (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors)
- NASSAS (Nor adrenaline and Specific Serotoninergic Antidep)
- MAOIs (Monoamine oxidase inhibitors)
- SNRIs (Serotonin and Noradrenaline Reuptake Inhibitors)
- Reduced sex drive
- Weight gain
- Dry mouth
- Weight loss
Some of these side-effects may go after initial treatment but other may continue and get worse.
Now if you combine antidepressants with alcohol this may happen:
- First of all taking any kind of medicine with alcohol can be very harmful and when you take antidepressants you’re in grave danger because next time you won’t just be getting side-effects the damage will be done permanently.
- If you think even for a second that alcohol can relieve you from depression then you’re sadly mistaken. Alcohol while on drugs will counteract all the outcomes of the medicine and you will be left feeling more depressed.
- Next thing is when you take antidepressants with alcohol you become weaker and can make you doubt your judgement and capabilities. That’s just the outline and if you think you are good to drive than you’re not that’s basically illegal to drink and drive and more than that it is dangerous to drive when you’re in influence of antidepressants and alcohol.
- Also when you take certain kind of antidepressants like MAOIs that is monoamine oxidase inhibitors it may cause some serious damage while you’re taking alcohol with MAOIs like stroke and increase in blood pressure.
- Don’t think stopping your drugs just to satisfy the craving of alcohol can help you. It will do more damage than good therefore never stop taking your antibiotics. Even if you want to drink.
Most people think going to doctor about it is such a petty issue and they never consult. The thing that is very important is consult your doctor and solve the matter. The doctor may tell you that little amount of alcohol is okay and it may be but if you’re alcohol dependant then you should take some counselling that may help you to maintain control over the urges. Also this may really help in depression.